POSITION: SENIOR PASTOR
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Trinity Lutheran Church Congregation
PURPOSE: To serve the church by providing a balanced ministry of preaching, teaching, pastoral care and organizational leadership to the congregation; and to enable the church to grow to its full potential in membership and spiritual vitality by developing and coordinating an effective and comprehensive program of mission and community outreach and providing leadership to and supervision of staff members and volunteers involved in this ministry.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Pastor shall:
- Administer the Word of God in its full truth and purity as contained in the Sacred Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments and as set forth in the confessional writings of the Evangelical Lutheran Church as found in the Book of Concord and administer the holy Sacraments in accordance with their divine institution;
- Perform the functions of a pastor in an evangelical manner; to aid, counsel and guide members of all ages and social conditions; to visit the sick and the dying; to admonish the indifferent and the erring;
- Guard and promote faithfully the spiritual welfare of the members of the congregation, in particular to instruct the catechumens, both children and adults, in the Word of God and thus prepare them for the communicant membership in the church;
- Promote and guide mission activity of the congregation as it is related to the local community and to endeavors of the Synod and its districts; in particular to train workers and guide them in evangelism and to enlist the support of the congregation for mission work;
- Help the congregation adopt administrative policies and procedures that will help it carry out the mission of the Christian congregation;
- Serve the congregation as an example of Christian conduct; to endeavor earnestly to live in Christian unity with the members of the congregation, fellow workers, and sister congregations in the Synod; and by the grace of God to do everything possible for the edification of the congregation and the up-building of the church in Christ.
Additionally the Pastor:
- Provides vision for the congregation and all its entities as it seeks to provide dynamic ministry for the members of the congregation, the community and the world.
- Supervises staff members, called and contracted, in their work and ministry, so that there is unity and consensus, centered on the vision for the congregation.
- Works with the congregation officers, to build unity around a common vision for the congregation.
- Works with the budget committee to make sure ministry priorities are funded.
- Authorizes ministry expenditures that do not exceed the budget.
- Supervises, hires and terminates church support staff (this does not include called workers).
- Promotes new ministry initiatives and gives direction to all congregation boards and committees.