Our History

Trinity’s story is a story of God’s love, mercy, grace, compassion, and care to us and through us!  What would become Trinity Lutheran Church began with 78 German Lutherans coming together for worship in mid-1855.  Led by a missionary from the St. Louis Seminary, John R. Beyer who a few months later became the first pastor of the congregation, Trinity was officially founded as a congregation and member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) in October 1855.  The congregation worshiped in various places in downtown Memphis for almost two decades.  The property on Washington Avenue where the church currently stands was purchased in 1871.  The lower story of the church was built by 1874.  A cornerstone on the church’s east side bears that year.  The upper story was completed in 1883.  Major renovations and additions to the building took place in 1924, 1950, 1957, 1961, and 1979-1980.

 

Trinity’s history is one of joys and celebration, challenges and struggle.  Trinity has had 18 pastors since its founding in 1855.  Those pastors, together with many, many faithful lay people of the flock, weathered tumultuous times over the years:  from the Civil War to yellow fever epidemics in the late 1870s that decimated the population of Memphis and membership of the church; from the church switching from German to English language services in 1910 through the World Wars of the 20th Century; from changes in the surrounding world and challenges in the surrounding culture, including a battle to keep the church downtown in the 1970s when Shelby County decided to build the Criminal Justice Center (201 Poplar) around it.  In all these and more, Trinity remained a fixture of downtown Memphis by the grace of God!

 

Yet, Trinity was (and is!) much more than just a fixture!  Trinity has been a blessing to those inside the church through faithful Word and Sacrament ministry and the fellowship of countless brothers and sisters in Christ that God has so graciously granted over the years!  Trinity has been a blessing to the community outside the church, as well!  Trinity planted or assisted with planting a number of other Lutheran churches in the area.  Trinity actively served the downtown and larger Memphis community over the years.  Early radio ministry broadcasts, building a school building for a thriving black school in 1944, assisting with the development of a Lutheran Hospital in Mississippi in 1949, being an integral part in the building of a Lutheran retirement community for the region, a ministry to the deaf of the area, ministry to the military, prison ministry, fostering a Sudanese ministry, and presently a vibrant Hispanic ministry are just a sampling of the ways that Trinity has been mission-minded, service-focused, and neighbor-loving by living the love of Christ in downtown Memphis and well-beyond for almost 169 years!

 

Only the Lord knows what the future holds for His ministry and mission in and through Trinity; but if you’re reading this, we invite you to come and be a part of it with us!

Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace · Real God · Real People · Real Grace ·
TRINITY-LOGO-WHITE

CONTACT

Office Hours

Message Pastor

Contact Us

Give Online

ABOUT US

Our Mission

Our Vision

What We Believe

About Trinity

LIFE AT TRINITY

New to Trinity

Candle Newsletter

Our Ministry Team

Members Login

EVENTS

Monthly Calendar

Sunday Groups

Life Together

Sunday Schedule

WORSHIP

Bulettin

Trinity Today

Past Services

Live Services

SOCIAL

Facebook

Instagram

X